View Single Post
Old 09-19-2016, 11:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
slowmover
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Have to keep them under 2,000-rpm to see 20+ consistently. The highway operating speed range is 58-63/mph for reasonable economy as well as for longevity.

Plus, the propensity of high COG pickups to roll over (where cars will skid sideways) as well as braking performance means 65-mph is "top speed". I hope -- that with this group atlround here -- that I don't to again go thru the travel speed versus average speed "problem". In shortest terms, there is no benefit to running fast. "Time saved" is about having the TV remote control in hand sooner.
Long term economical operation is about establishing best habits (consistent with safety).

4WD Dodge 2500/3500 of this era need the front steering and associated replaced with up to date design. Next is learning how to shift the 5600. Every gear, every time. It's a transmission from the medium duty truck lines (like the engine) thus shifts slowly.

At over 200k I'm on the original clutch, first brake re-line, and Michelin replaced the defective first set of replacement tires (only saw 70k versus the originals at 120k. Was on track to not need second replacement set until truck was at 250k).

A vehicle like this requires a fresh start. One does not "keep up with traffic". It's slow around town. It's meant to do a great deal of work with a long life at a low overall cost.

Tye engine is pretty much a 10,000-hr lifespan. That's figured at an average of 35-mph from engine hours versus miles.

OP, what's the average on yours. Engine hours divided into miles? (Personally, I wouldn't have bought one with an average of under 25. Mine was at 47. Previous beings owner apparently didn't stop except to buy more Diesel and cigarettes to have one that high).

A 350k mile engine life isn't likely without a correspondingly high average speed.

CumminsForum a good place to get a handle on mech issues. Smaller crowd at TDR, but exceptionally sharp.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to slowmover For This Useful Post:
ME_Andy (10-22-2016), redpoint5 (09-19-2016), Wyodaniel (09-19-2016)