View Single Post
Old 09-22-2016, 03:04 PM   #22 (permalink)
Hersbird
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,178 Times in 807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
As travel trailers are tall ( this is huge; today's are higher due to slide outs).
This explains a lot to me about my new Forester River product. I was wondering why the built it so high up, basically completely flat floor, deckover design, no wheel wells. I was thinking it was because of the new off-road style campers being popular with many people flipping the axles to gain ground clearance. Now I realize from what you said it's the only way to allow the entire wall to slide which mine does. That slide is the reason we bought this trailer, when opened up it makes a basically open floor 11'x17' aera, then 2 queens expand out of each end, Feels like a cabin inside.

So at least they skinned the bottom. I wonder if a slightly raised and skinned pickup wouldn't be a nice match and actually let a window of air go underneath. Axles, jacks, and tank drains are all still a mess under there though. I also don't think they could have used a higher profile AC unit up top either. I should just stop worring about mpg and accept it. Worst case it costs me $1000/yr in gas, probably more like $500 and any improvements in either truck or trailer won't save more then 1/2 that. In 11 years when I retire and plan on doing some more serious miles we can rethink our rig.