View Single Post
Old 09-26-2016, 12:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
MetroMPG
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 60.16 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,957 Times in 3,602 Posts
Darin's test drive review notes: 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage G4 sedan 1.2L CVT

(Update: above pic is the actual car I'm driving.)

I'm picking up a 2017 Mirage G4 sedan this afternoon for a couple of weeks, courtesy of Mitsubishi Canada.

Overview:

The Mirage sedan is a stretched wheelbase version of the Mirage hatchback, with slightly different front end styling. It shares the hatchback's mechanicals, including the slightly more powerful (78 hp for 2017) 1.2 L, 3-cylinder engine, larger brakes, and revised suspension.

Fuel economy:

EPA (MPG US)

CVT automatic: 35 CITY / 42 HWY / 37 COMBINED
5-speed manual: 33 CITY / 40 HWY / 35 COMBINED

NRCAN (L/100 km)

CVT automatic: 6.9 CITY / 5.7 HWY / 6.4 COMBINED
5-speed manual: 7.2 CITY / 5.9 HWY / 6.6 COMBINED

It's the most fuel-efficient non-hybrid sedan available right now. Also the least powerful! Also the lightest. Also the 2nd least expensive sedan (base Versa sedan MSRP is lower). In Canada, it wins for least expensive sedan because the Micra replaced the Versa.

It's new for North America this year, though it's been available elsewhere for a couple of years.

This press fleet Mirage will probably have the CVT attached, but I won't know for sure until I see it. Of course I strongly prefer a manual in my own cars, both for efficiency and fun, but I am curious to spend more time with the transmission that the vast majority of buyers pick.

My disclaimer

I don't pretend to be a car reviewer/journalist. So take everything I may write in this thread with a grain of salt. (Actually, we should all do the same with the so-called "professional" auto reviewers too!) So far, reviews of the car in the U.S. have been "ok": eg. the car has improved over the 2014 hatchback launch with upgrades to engine power, NVH (mounts), suspension tuning, brakes. It still will not set a typical enthusiast's heart aflutter.

Some of the things I plan to do with it:
  • speed vs. MPG test (make a chart)
  • compare it to a bunch of other cars' results on my non-scientific ecodriving test route
  • some Mirage CVT owners say the car gets better MPG with cruise control engaged (it drops RPM further?). I want to investigate that.
  • find out how accurate the onboard MPG gauge is vs. at-the-pump calculations

And I'll post some pics plus general driving impressions. But my focus will be on fuel economy, of course.

Ironically, one of the notable features of the 2017 Mirage line is Android/Apple car play connectivity. I can't report on that... don't have a smart phone.

So... whaddya want to know about it?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bosco-side-rear.jpg
Views:	1096
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	20642   Click image for larger version

Name:	slp-3-up.jpg
Views:	894
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	20696  
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget

Last edited by MetroMPG; 10-13-2016 at 01:57 PM.. Reason: (added pics of actual car)
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:
changzuki (05-07-2018), Daox (09-26-2016), elhigh (10-09-2016), Frank Lee (09-26-2016), jamiec (09-27-2016), MobilOne (10-09-2016), Natalya (09-27-2016), nemo (09-26-2016)