View Single Post
Old 09-28-2016, 06:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
M_a_t_t
マット

The Van - '95 Chevy Astro Cl V8 Swapped
Team Chevy
90 day: 7.84 mpg (US)

The new bike - '17 Kawasaki Versys X 300 abs
Motorcycle
90 day: 71.94 mpg (US)

The Mercury - '95 Mercury Tracer Trio
Team Ford
90 day: 34.35 mpg (US)

Toyota - '22 Toyota Corolla Hatchback
90 day: 40.11 mpg (US)
95 Chevy Astro Build

Been Lurking for awhile, did a few mods. Now I'm having fun Ecomodding and would like to share.
I probably won't do much A-B-A testing, but who knows maybe someday

From the beginning:

I bought a 1995 Astro van back in Early 2014, it had some problems, but I only paid $500. It was owned by an older couple who eventually stopped using it and gave it to their daughter. They didn't need it and wanted to sell it to someone who they thought would fix it and take good care of it. That was my Dad's coworker.

The rear brakes didn't work, the heater core leaked, passenger door handle was broke, and passenger tie rod was worn out.
I didn't have my license so I just slowly fixed it, myself, and now it's been a great vehicle. I've put about 6,000 miles on it so far

I finally got licensed and insured around 7/20/2015 and started driving. I wanted to do aeromods but I wasn't concerned and didn't think I knew what I was doing so I didn't, but slowly when excuses came I tried, again no testing but conversation piece right?

Ecomod #1:
I pulled the van into the garage to do an oil change. Changed oil went to back out of garage and didn't think about the mirror. Broke it so...

I did a mirror delete. Eventually I got tired of not being able to see and just got it fixed and put back on.

Ecomod #2:
PIZZA PANS! I went to the junkyard and only finding 2 center caps to hack I bought 2 15" pizza pans. I went with putting both on the front. One bolt in the center

The passenger side eventually un-threaded itself and flew off somewhere on the road I kept the one so I have a Pizza pan on one wheel. I plan on redoing it using the method Pletby did on his Civic. Its on the list

Ecomod #3:
Mpguino! I have peak and hold injectors so I had to do some research and after reading someones success story I bought it along with some plugs. Ending up costing total around $88. The Jaycar module is a DIY kit and requires soldering together. I had some noob problems and after getting some leads from Ecomodder I figured it out. I missed a solder point on the Jaycar Module. After getting that fixed I put it in but the how it wires into the injector can be different, it says so in the manual, So I am now sorting out all the problems and am almost done calibrating. My tank value is at 17 mpg which is pretty accurate since I only do city driving.

I built the box out some wood we had sitting in the garage. It's cut to fit the little "hill" not perfect but it does a good job securing it.

Ecomod #4:
E-fan conversion. Bought a dual fan kit off ebay for $265. It has a lifetime warranty so far its been fine but its only been on for about 2 months since installation. I made a shroud for it removing the stock shroud, it provides more engine working space for repairs and the improvement in mpg also. Only thing missing in this picture is the air filter. I plan on doing a warm air intake to make it not so in your face and hopefully for some mpg's

EcoMod #5:
Grille Block I just finished this today, I didn't want to go to far and overheat so I only blocked half the radiator area. I couldn't get a good picture of it to show how the grille was extra wide so even though it looks like more its just the width of the radiator that is left open. I couldn't get a detailed picture of behind the grille but....

I was going to spray paint it black but I don't have any black paint for now

I have another project in the works but I'll wait until its finished, or I need help haha, to post about it.
Happy Ecomodding, Matt.

Last edited by M_a_t_t; 09-29-2016 at 06:20 PM.. Reason: Picture
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to M_a_t_t For This Useful Post:
Daox (09-29-2016), Joggernot (09-29-2016), MobilOne (10-01-2016)