View Single Post
Old 09-30-2016, 09:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
woodsrat
Beginner Ecomodder

I beg to differ...

I've had fantastic results repowering step-throughs with Lifan engines. My '80 Honda Passport has around eight thousand stone-reliable miles on it--and I don't baby this puppy, either. I just completed a trip from Indy to the Smokies and back (in the company of a couple of Harleys!) and on flat ground I cruised at 50-53 MPH. The long steep hills had me down in third gear at 38 MPH which given the displacement and tall gearing I run I felt was pretty good.

I also have a CT-200 with the same motor and it too has been reliable as a claw hammer. No clue on how many miles is on it as it doesn't have an odometer.

Without expensive modifications (that will greatly reduce reliability) there's simply no way a stock Honda 90 motor will run anywhere close to as good as the Lifans run.

The other problem is between the terrible 6v. electrical system, it's breaker point ignition and the fact we're dealing with thirty to nearly fifty year old engines the old Honda motors simply aren't very reliable. Among the guys in my group who ride them the stock bikes are the ones that are constantly being worked on or loaded into a truck when they break down.

Do a bit of research before you poo-poo the Lifans. I recommend going to advrider.com's "Battle Scooter" page and doing a search there. Usually there's always a thread or two about repowered step-throughs on the first page.