Thread: Sparkle the EP3
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2016, 09:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
compdrag
EcoModding Apprentice

24 Grom - '24 Honda Grom
90 day: 120.17 mpg (US)
Sparkle the EP3

So I'm starting this to document everything I do to Sparkle my EP3(2002 Honda Civic Si). My kids named it so don't ask about the name. Ok so here is my back story on Sparkle.

Bought the car in May 2016, and since I have owned a good amount of Hondas, and didn't have a daily driver I wanted another Civic. I only had my 68 VW bus, and I wasn't about to start driving that everyday with a 12mpg average. So I got Sparkle.

Ok onto what I have done to her. First things first it came with the cat back exhaust so that was a good thing, everything else on the car was unmolested. So time for me to start the altering. I first added a AEM V2 intake. It picks up air right near the header so its warm air which is a good thing.

Next I decided to mess with lighting and changed out the lights with HIDs for headlights and LED for everything else. Saving amps wherever I can.

I then added fog lights which help out because the actually block some of the front. So I was adding things, and I wasn't even starting to EcoMod yet.

Next I was still going for performance so I opted for going with rims next. I got Konig Heliums which dropped 10lbs per rim off the stock Si rims.

Now the controversial mod with which I would say so far is giving me good numbers so I can't really argue with the things I have found about it, and the numbers I got with it. I added a ASP rear bumper diffuser (i know its not really a diffuser per say). Again the bumper was pretty bad looking before I did it so the holes and kit actually make it look pretty mean.

So since I did the holes in the bumper I decided to start Ecomodding and challenging myself to get the best MPGs each tank. Best so far is 32 MPG I'm shooting for 40, but I will live with 35. So next thing was getting a Ultra Gauge so I can watch what I'm doing and adjust the nut behind the wheel.

after that I flipped the front license plate to block more of the front bumper hole.

Today I worked on two things a upper front grill block, and bumping up the tire pressure all the way around. So I got the upper grill block in, and I bumped the tires from 25ish to 35. I'll see what these to things do, and see if I get better numbers then I did last tank. I will keep adding more probably as I do more research. I think I'm going to stick to one upgrade, every new tank so that I can see if it does something or not.