View Single Post
Old 10-04-2016, 12:57 AM   #7 (permalink)
ChopStix
Primer is still paint!

85 Chevy Pickup C10 - '85 Chevy C10
Sorry for the delay in replying I was out of town.

I'll have to check out the computer recall for it.
The way you mentioned it would overheat the distributor makes it sound like a lower block would work fine? Or just ditch the whole thing?

I would avoid blocking the grill center all together, top and bottom. Though I plan to try blocking the grill sides vertically with a hole for the air temp sensor to still get air to it. The idea being to block the areas of the radiator support wall that are exposed to direct frontal air. But not blocking any of the radiator rows at all to still allow full air through the radiator. I hope this explanation makes sense.

When the HEI distributor module fails your truck is dead until you swap it out. Which to me sucks, considering its a van and you got to pull the inside engine cover to get to the distributor. This is why radiator air flow is important on this vehicle.

The temp. sensor your referring to do you mean the ambient temp or a coolant temp sensor? They call it an "air temp sensor" which is an ambient temp sensor. There's a lot of claims made about this sensor online. I choose to believe most claims are BS as GM would not have used the sensor unless they needed it for a reason. So any changes to it would hurt MPG or else they would not have spent millions by putting them on millions of these vans and S10's over the years. This forum is about MPG not HP or ET's. So we want all the fuel control we can get by keeping all our sensors reading properly.

Last edited by ChopStix; 10-04-2016 at 01:30 AM..