View Single Post
Old 10-14-2016, 10:58 AM   #28 (permalink)
MetroMPG
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,960 Times in 3,604 Posts
Interior room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Charlie View Post
Fun, yes, but also cargo space. How many X (fun, silly and maybe practical) things can fit in it? PaleMelanesian's report that his Fit could do three car seats in the back and a hay bale in the trunk put the Fit on my short list.
Sorry, I have no fun or silly "what can I stuff in a Mirage" stories for you. No hay bales.

Also: No long cargo for you!

In fact, the car is a bit of a let-down in the cargo department: despite a reasonably big trunk (baby's got back!), there's no passthrough or any way to fold the seat down! That's a big oversight on Mitsu's part -- all their competitors offer a folding rear seat at least on the top spec trim.

I asked Mitsu's PR person about it, and he said, "it's on our wish list."

Curious why it's not available now, I pulled the trunk panel and the rear seat out for a peek.

Aha. Bracing:

At least the solution isn't too complicated if an owner wants a DIY trunk pass-through. 12 bolts to remove those braces.

It's funny: I once had an '89 Accord mid-trim sedan with a non-folding rear seat (the seat folded in the top trim sedan). So I pulled the rear seatback out and found similar bracing as this, but it was welded in place in the Honda. I hacksawed it out.

Stretch

On the upside, the rear seat legroom is honestly impressive -- and not just "impressive for a small car".

I remember thinking the back seat room (legroom) in the Mirage hatchback was surprisingly generous. The sedan blows it out of the water.

In Canada, Mitsu advertises the G4 as "best in class", and I can see why. (I'm not sure if the same claim is made in the States, because the Nissan Versa sedan may have more legroom... if it's in the same class.)

I'm average height (5'10"). Check out how much room I have when sitting "behind myself" (driver's seat adjusted for myself):

How is this possible? Because the Mirage's seat is a bit higher off the floor, and you can get your feet under it and stretch out. Can't do that in the Camry.

(I will admit I set my driving position probably a little closer to the controls than most people my height. But still, take away a few inches of knee room, and it still doesn't hinder the stretch-outness factor.

The rest of the interior, sans haybales:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tsl-n-side-flipped.jpg
Views:	611
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	20725   Click image for larger version

Name:	interior-front.jpg
Views:	780
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	20726   Click image for larger version

Name:	interior-rear.jpg
Views:	927
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	20727   Click image for larger version

Name:	rear-seat-blocked.jpg
Views:	521
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	20728   Click image for larger version

Name:	rear-seat-solution.jpg
Views:	576
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	20729  

Click image for larger version

Name:	interior-rear-seat-room.jpg
Views:	515
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	20730  
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:
Daox (10-14-2016), Ecky (02-29-2020), Fat Charlie (10-14-2016), niky (10-15-2016)