View Single Post
Old 10-29-2016, 03:28 PM   #157 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
update

*the wheel fairings are essentially complete and attached.
*I need to Bondo all the screw holes and other imperfections in the belly pan,sand that down,then do automotive primer.
*then I'll create fillets around each fairing base to kill the hook vortices that would otherwise form there.I'll just use DAP,ALEX,35-year caulk.It's water based and easy to tool with a wet thumb or fingertip.
*I've got balsa wood to close the gaps in each fairing which expose the wheels.Glued,doped,, Bondo'd,and primed,the fairings should shield the tires fairly well.
*I've got to leave large gaps around the bottom wheel openings to allow 'Baby' to be mounted to a ground board at DARKO.Her wheel track isn't wide enough to allow direct attachment to the load cell uprights.I'll try and tape these openings once she's attached.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
*the fiberglass faux '1-wheel trailer wheel' is done.I layed up 1-side plus the tread surface area,dressed that part,then flipped it,taped it onto the tire and layed up the remainder,creating the full 'tire.'It weighs maybe an ounce.
*I'll soon begin the wheel fairing which the faux wheel will be bonded to.Added and dropped at DARKO will allow us to glimpse the aerodynamics of a 1-wheeled,full-boat-tailed,gap-filled trailer,as BamZipPow has created.
*Bondo-ing and shaping of the body and stinger continue.I picked up my 3rd gallon the other day.Plus a pack of #80 sanding discs.
*Got all the Toyota error codes now.Have an OBD-1 scanner.And starting fluid.Plus watched some You-Tube tutorials on diagnostics.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
*once I get the hood blister off,flipped,and fiberglass'd underneath,I'll be ready to look into Spirit's mechanical/electrical issues.She broke down under the shade tree and I really can't work on her aerodynamics there.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
* I have a few new photos.Maybe Al will be able to help me with that before closing time.