View Single Post
Old 10-31-2016, 01:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Great info. Thanks for sharing your research. The standard test for the 02 and the ECU in the Honda FSM is "replace with known good"--as if the FSM assumes you are at a dealership and have ready access to replacement parts or something, lol.

Check connections to the ECU, making sure the tech really hooked it up correctly. Check the O2 as well. I know it was good before, but there are coincidences and maybe something is suddenly registering differently,or has suddenly failed. My OEM starter motor was failing intermittently and I carried around a wrench to tap it everynow and then so it would work normally. Three years ago, I swapped my transmission, and my starter problem went away permanently. Then, suddenly, the slave cylinder on the hydraulic clutch mechanism had a complete failure. Ghosts in the machine do odd things.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.