View Single Post
Old 11-08-2016, 02:05 AM   #19 (permalink)
fusion210
Master EcoModder

Winsight - '06 Honda Insight
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 72.19 mpg (US)
While I'm sure there are some places that would make it really difficult to get up to speed, I haven't found one. The problems I've had in freeway driving in my Insight come from people trying to merge going 10-20mph below the speed limit. They'll be going, say, 55-60mph on an on ramp when traffic is 70-75mph and due to their poor planning it makes things difficult for them and people in the rightmost lane.

If I'm the guy already on the freeway in the rightmost lane and they merge in front of me going slower than traffic and I can't go into the left lane, I'll have to decelerate to their speed. They speed up with ease, often going into the left lane to do 10mph over the speed limit and I'm down to 60mph trying to get back up to 70mph or so which isn't fun with traffic behind you.

If I'm behind the person trying to merge going slow, that again sticks me with trying to quickly make up the difference in speed between me and traffic.

But if I'm entering a freeway I've have no issues with my extra slowness (avoiding any assist) getting up to 75mph in time to merge.