View Single Post
Old 11-23-2016, 08:37 AM   #110 (permalink)
Stubby79
Master EcoModder

Firefly EV - '98 Pontiac Firefly EV
90 day: 107.65 mpg (US)

Little Boy Blue - '05 Toyota Echo
90 day: 33.35 mpg (US)

BlueZ - '19 Nissan 370Z Sport
90 day: 17.19 mpg (US)
Lightbulb

Looks like I need to update the thread a bit, as well as get off my butt and get back at it.

I've got the one battery pack in, in the tray shown a couple of posts back. I had brackets/steel set up to hold the 1000-amp controller, right up until I got the other EV that I took apart in the previous post; I've since decided the 500-amp controller from that is better matched to this motor, as the 1000-amp is better matched to the bigger motor pulled from that EV. So I had to pull out the bracket I had built for the one controller and made room for the other and it's heat sink. That was the last thing I did. Oh and plumbed in the Curtis pot box.

Considering how close I am to being able to test it, you'd think I'd have jumped all over it by now. Instead I've been chickening out on putting it together. I'll be banging my head against the wall if it's a total flop when I get it going...

Which reminds me, one more step needed before I can start wiring: gotta hook up the emergency disconnect "pull" to the breaker. Then I won't kill myself if anything goes wrong. Not accidentally anyway.

Hmm. This wasn't what I was going to talk about. Oh yeah. The smaller motor I have, the 7.25" sepex. I got around to testing it the other day for RPM vs field @ different voltages, like I did the 8" I put in the firefly. I needed to know what voltages it can handle for part of a related but different project(which I have way too many of). What little reading I had found on it had come up with 8000rpm @ 72v with 12v on the field. That wouldn't suffice for my needs, so, as I said, I tested it myself.

I was please with the results. Its ~10% smaller than my 8" Sepex, and...it runs approximately 10% faster. Not even. More like 7 or 8%. That's great. That means it's running right at 5000rpm at 72v. That's in the useful range for what I need. It's what I originally expected, until I hand read otherwise...but my own findings settled things. I'm happy with the results.

I'm not sure just how fast it can safely spin, but I'll go with the usual numbers of 5000 or 5500 rpm as continuous, with peak/burst speeds of 8000. Might kill it going that fast. Depends if Advanced DC builds all their armatures equally. I hope not to find out the hard way that they don't.
The Following User Says Thank You to Stubby79 For This Useful Post:
Daox (11-23-2016)