View Single Post
Old 11-24-2016, 09:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
sallen
EcoModding Lurker

VW GOLF - '96 Volkwagen Golf MK3 GL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 50.21 mpg (US)

Commute scoot - '95 Suzuki AE50 Style
Last 3: 70.4 mpg (US)

The German - '99 Mercedes W202 C200 Classic
90 day: 27.65 mpg (US)
Toyota 1.3 VVT-i driving style tips?

Morning all,

I've done a bit of pondering / searching and can't find an answer - probably because the above mentioned engine might not have made it to the USA.

I wonder if there are any 1.3 VVT-i owners out there who can give me a hand.

My ma has just picked up a low milage 2012 Yaris 1.3 (not sure if it's the 2NZ-FE or 1NZ-FE engine). It has the six speed manual trans and a "ECO" shift light to tell you when to change.

She's come from a 1.4HDI engine, so is probably still driving it like a diesel, and expecting 70mpg UK (58mpg US) average tanks.

She and her partner have been glued to the MPG gauge but it's averaging about 40mpg UK (33mpg US).

Anyone have this car or powerplant? If so, I'd love some tips.

I'm not sure how VVT-i works, but can that be used to benefit FE somehow?

Also, the shift light is useless; it says shift up, but when you do there is nothing there (c. 2200 RPM) and your foot needs to be planted to get going.

Perhaps this car needs a VW TDI "boot it for FE" approach - along the lines of the (oft-quoted here) keep your foot in 70/80% to load the engine, shifting at 0.7 of the max torque RPM, in this car, that's 3080rpm, until cruising speed had been acheived.

As an aside, I'm trying the above technique with my Mercedes M111 engine - a small but thirsty unit - to see if it is happier under load.

Or, maybe for the Yaris, a more gentle apprach will help the little thing get better FE?

Glad to hear anyone's views, especially people who drive the 1.3 VVT-i powerplant.

Will you recoup money spent on mods in fuel saved? see my spreadsheets here