Thread: Sparkle the EP3
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2016, 09:39 PM   #56 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by compdrag View Post
I use the throttle position percentage for the pulse and I try to keep it in around 18-20.

I I have been pulsing up to 65 and then gliding to 50 with the engine on. The UG doesn't work with engine off coasting I have tried with no result I might be doing it wrong. Pretty much my method.
Careful! When you switch the engine off, do NOT leave it in an off position. Turn the key back to run without turning to ignition. That way all your instruments still work, including UG. If you stay in off you could get killed or injured in an accident when you try to steer away and encounter the steering column lock. Perhaps I misunderstand what you tried. I hope you don't switch into "off" position and leave it there. Instead, leave the ignition in the run or on position without switching the engine back on until you are ready.

On the throttle versus engine load. You want to use engine load, not throttle position for the best results. Try for about 75% engine load and try to stay there. You will notice that to stay at 75% load as the car accelerates you will want to change throttle position. And that's why throttle position is not the best for P&G regulation. You want to stay in optimal engine load, which is usually about 70-80%...
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.