View Single Post
Old 12-03-2016, 03:21 PM   #246 (permalink)
Isaac Zackary
Full sized hybrid.

Suzy - '13 Toyota Avalon Hybrid XLE
90 day: 37.18 mpg (US)
I really like the idea of the battery trailer. With that I'm wondering what would be the best way to connect it electrically to the car. A simple parallel connection? Parallel everything (each cell so all can be balanced together)? Or switch between battery packs? One other way would be to hook the spare pack up as a pusher trailer with it's own motor.

It seems that any which way will work. But there are benefits to hooking up each pack separately. That way the car can balance and monitor each battery. According to the video I posted earlier they were able to set it up so that when switching between batteries the car could tell which battery now had only 9 bars left and which battery had 12 bars. If I hook up in parallel I wonder if that function would be lost (making the car think the battery is in excellent condition even if both batteries should be several bars down.)

Another idea is to just throw a generator in the trunk and use it in case of emergencies. This may be the cheapest option. I found a 2,500W propane inverter generator on eBay refurbished for $700. Now I'd only be able to level one charge, but the guys that can upgrade the EVSE can also make it accept 15amps instead of 12. I like the idea of a propane generator because the propane shouldn't ever go bad nor cause bad smells on the car. I could do that and then just focus on aeromods and perhaps dual level 2 charges.