View Single Post
Old 12-13-2016, 07:33 PM   #48 (permalink)
cRiPpLe_rOoStEr
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
A harmonization between American and European emission regulations seems more likely, allowing Ford, GM and Fiat/Chrysler to increase their Diesel offerings in the USDM. Regarding safety, I wouldn't be so optimistic about any amendment that could lead to an increase in the overall efficiency of commercial fleets, but who knows? Many small business owners would probably want one of those Asian forward-control compact trucks such as the Hyundai Porter, known in my home country as Hyundai HR, if they were also available there. Or what about a Toyota HiAce van? Since it shares most of its driveline with the HiLux and the Tacoma, it could eventually find its way into the American market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalya View Post
I casually follow the big rig industry, and everything to do with it. Even with cheap diesel we're seeing these days, the #1 cost of operating a truck is still the fuel. I kind-of doubt that even if Trump removes fuel economy requirements or reduction of sulfur emissions, that truck manufacturers will suddenly go back to making the less sophisticated engines of the past. Maybe the sulfur stuff, I could see them dumping SCR if it wasn't required, but every time I open Transport Topics or Heavy Duty Trucking I see lots of discussion of aeromods and gear ratios and transmissions and weight reduction. It looks like fuel efficiency is still important to fleets and owner-operators.
Removing fuel economy requirements or going back to high-sulphur fuel seems highly unlikely. Maybe an amendment to the emissions control ordinance to allow the removal of the DPF in order to avoid problems running higher percentages of biodiesel, and eventually the SCR which doesn't lead to any real improvement to the combustion process while the old-school water+methanol injection can be used to achieve lower temperatures with a leaner burn and also decreases the soot emissions.
The Following User Says Thank You to cRiPpLe_rOoStEr For This Useful Post:
t vago (12-14-2016)