View Single Post
Old 12-16-2016, 03:28 PM   #20 (permalink)
skyking
Master EcoModder

Woody - '96 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 23.82 mpg (US)

Avion and Woody - '96 Dodge/Avion Ram 2500/5th wheel combo
90 day: 15.1 mpg (US)

TD eye eye eye - '03 Volkswagen Beetle GLS
90 day: 49.05 mpg (US)

Mule - '07 Dodge Ram 3500 ST
Update on the truck:
I planned on overhauling the engine next winter. We knew it was on borrowed time when we purchased it.
Somebody foreclosed on the loan :P
Last week I started it up on a relatively cold morning, and she ran like crap. Sounded like 5 cylinders, smoking, vibration. Times up!
I drove it on my errand anyway, what could it hurt? It drove OK, and the only telltale was a little vibration.
On my way back home somebody rear ended me
Kick a guy while he is down........no damage done other than possibly the bumper itself, and it is hard to tell. It is not a virgin bumper.
So I drove it to my friend's place Monday about 100 miles away, who has the experience, knowledge, a lift, big shop and tools. Ran pretty good and the lie-o-meter stayed above 26 MPG most of the way there.
By that night I had drained all fluids, removed the drivelines, transfer case, transmission, clutch, bumper, core support and all the radiators and condensers and intercoolers.
We pulled the engine the next day and took it to my trusted rebuilder in Canada.
About the transmission: It had some nasty looking shards on the magnetic drain plug, and a decision was made to overhaul it.
The rebuilder I went with has both the early and late G56 transmissions in stock and he does not care which one I give him, so I am getting a late G56 with higher gear ratios throughout. OD went from .79 to .74

2007 Dodge Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 with 6MT
2003 TDI Beetle
2002 TDI Beetle

currently parked - 1996 Dodge 2500 Cummins Turbodiesel
Custom cab, auto, 3.55 gears