View Single Post
Old 12-19-2016, 10:42 PM   #23 (permalink)
Hersbird
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,176 Times in 806 Posts
IF a motor is getting much better MPG with some kind of vapor setup it is only because it is way outside emissions requirements and making a fraction of the power. Probably only enough to idle or drive a few mph in first gear. IF you applied a similar lean condition to an emissions stripped motor you might pick up quite a few MPG. I have long wanted to see testing done by an actual manufacturer at what would be possible mpg wise, emissions be dammed.
There just isn't that much wasted energy in a modern fuel injected motor cracking gasoline. Yes there is heat and pumping losses, but you would still have these losses if you were using vapor, especially if you were making a motor that was operational over a range of power. The vapor has to be compressed, then ignited, which causes it to get really, really hot, expanding the air and driving the piston. That heat doesn't just disappear because you ignited vapor rather then tiny droplets (AKA also a vapor).
Basically no matter how you say it, every car runs on gasoline vapors and seeing as how there is not a stream of liquid gas flowing out the exhaust it is burning all of it. If that much gas was being wasted in the exhaust it would be much, much hotter then it already is.
I have seen articles where a Mazda 626 vapor car was put to the test. It went 45 miles on a gallon at 65. The article tried to say it's only rated for 30 mpg so that was a big improvement (but nowhere near the claimed 100 mpg the builder made). The problem is they didn't test the car in normal gas mode to see if that 626 wouldn't have gotten the same 45 mpg just running a constant 65 mph down a Florida highway, the EPA rating is far from the best mpg possible as proven here 1000 times over. Then what if you were to remove the catalytic converter and run a lean burn tune on the standard fuel injection. A modern motor doesn't run as rich as it does for best mpg or power, it does it to keep the converter working and emissions low. Also every one of those 100 mpg cars out there always seem to keep a normal fuel system in place that has some kind of supposed shutoff. I just don't believe any of them are really not tapping into that gas at anything above idle.

IDK, build one I guess, and then make a clear video showing proof. These guys in the videos are getting 200 mpg without any of the fancy heat and pressure setups supposedly. You should be able to get 400-500 mpg no problem with a 800 degree gas vapor cooker. Then the big oil execs will come to your door and kill your whole family. Probably try and make it look like a gas explosion accident too.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hersbird For This Useful Post:
100MPGUS (01-13-2017), ByDesign (01-11-2017), elhigh (01-13-2017), skyking (01-14-2017), Xist (12-21-2016)