View Single Post
Old 12-20-2016, 01:31 AM   #30 (permalink)
davelobi
EcoModding Apprentice

CRX - '91 Honda CRX HF
Last 3: 63.1 mpg (US)

the ugly one - '97 saturn SL just sl,not sl1 or 2
Team Saturn
90 day: 44.15 mpg (US)

Vibe - '07 Pontiac Vibe
Team Pontiac
90 day: 44.24 mpg (US)

Hoopdie - '05 Toyota Corolla CE
90 day: 42.58 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyLugNut View Post
You are trying to correct erroneous points and yet have no knowledge of such a basic principle as ignition lead time? It undermines your position.
How could you possibly know what level of knowledge I have on such a basic principal as ignition lead time? I understand that preferred maximum combustion pressure would be just after top dead center to maximize the power stroke. With that in mind and the rate of fuel burn in a gasoline engine the spark will be before tdc, yes, but 30 degrees before tdc would break things. Timing in a modern car is much more fine tuned by the engines computer than the old mechanical advanced distributers. Slight operating condition changes will call for slight lead time changes to constantly strive for max fuel economy at any given speed-load.

the op would probably have more fun changing individual parameters in the ecm to play with fuel economy but will likely fall out of emissions regulations that the manufacturers can't do.