View Single Post
Old 12-24-2016, 10:49 AM   #8 (permalink)
benfroggg
EcoModding Lurker

Natalya,
I've thought about that. I could remove the mirrors altogether and put in cameras/video screen. But they pretty much have to be out as far as they are in their current configuration. Of course there is no view of the rear through the truck since there's no rear window... so those mirrors are all I have to negotiate the relatively wide/long chassis.

California98civic,
The motorhome will get used a lot at 50mph. I avoid the highway when possible because I don't like driving that fast. We do occasionally do gigs far enough away that the freeway is best. I still think I'll be keeping it at 60 or so, unless it's rush hour.
Weight is important... but I can't get much more out of it than I have already. The band equipment is right around 1000 pounds. The camper is going to weigh more than it did originally due to this.... but hopefully not too much.
The walls/roof/tanks/cabinets were 1100#'s according to the dump scale. I've added a new floor and roughly 375#'s of steel framing. Insulation, luan layers x2, and the skin outside should add another couple hundred pounds or so.

I figure with equipment and 5 people, we're gonna have 2k loaded on the chassis. So probably a gross weight of 4500 or so...

The Toyota engine/trans combo in these motorhomes is pretty well maxed out with the original camper shell. LOTS of drag, heavy, etc. I've read on the forums that people pretty much have to be full throttle all the way up hills and have trouble maintaining the speed limit. That may still be the case with the final gross weight... but the drag reduction is going to be significant. The frontal area is going to be reduced considerably as well as much more streamlined.

As to the band, it's a cover band that plays primarily 90's hip hop. We do costumes/characters. It's a real party... very tongue in cheek. We have recently started doing original music, but none is up on the FB yet.http://www.facebook.com/theshizzle

Lastly, yes, that is a Kammback 90's civic VX. It's getting 60+mpg most of the year. I have a couple videos on my channel about it. But they were filmed when I made it... like 5 years ago... so the video quality isn't as good.
The Following User Says Thank You to benfroggg For This Useful Post:
California98Civic (12-24-2016)