View Single Post
Old 12-26-2016, 02:11 AM   #11 (permalink)
benfroggg
EcoModding Lurker

Freebeard,
The camper isn't going to be camped in. It's basically a rolling dry/warm sleeping area with seatbelts. No need for camping supplies. The idea is to be able to travel to a gig in the afternoon. Setup, play the gig. Load out. Sleep in the parking lot of the gig location or a walmart or similar. Wake up late, see the local sites, drive home. Maybe one meal in it per gig.... fast food or something prepared at least. Consider a coleman stove and a 5 gallon jug for longer trips than 2-3hours from home.

Can you be specific about what body mods you have in mind? Are you suggesting to radius the edge of the area above/just behind the front doors?

What do you mean "plan taper abaft the rear axle centerline"?
Abaft means above, right?

375 pounds of steel is the new frame- walls, ceiling, interior divider, etc. The walls support the bed above the cab. They've got to be strong. Normal motorhomes get their strength from the interior walls/cabinets as well as the outline shape of the body. The roof isn't a long straight line for a reason. Nor is the back wall a straight wall for same... it adds rigidity to the structure.

Safety to Luan... Well, the original camper was made from 18 gauge aluminum 1" square tubing, welded on only one side of joints. In between the frame was 1" of styrofoam. Then a layer of luan on each side. A layer of aluminum sheeting on the outside, and that was it. That was all that previously stood between passengers and the road in a wreck.

Now there's a 1" 14gauge steel tube frame. Centers are 24", but with the window frames the spacing is far narrower in the passenger area. I plan to apply rigid foam insulation and two layers of luan, as before. Then a layer of aluminum.

I can say with certainty that it's not as safe as a modern car.
I can also say with certainly it's considerably safer than it ever was from the factory.

Xist,
No external AC. A simple cabin exhaust fan only. This is Maine. No real need for AC but a few nights a year.

The roof will have no protrusions. The walls will only have the windows/lights.

Part 5 coming soon. Framing is mostly done.

The Following User Says Thank You to benfroggg For This Useful Post:
freebeard (12-26-2016)