View Single Post
Old 12-26-2016, 07:59 PM   #14 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
I suspect the line between 'camping' and 'road tripping' is blurry. Maybe downsize the water requirement. Rather than go into a lot of detail, I'll point to another poster's threads:
Here is a proposal I made then:

Inspired by 1930s beer trucks, the lower part in frame and skin, but the upper part is a two-walled compound curve shell with no internal framing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Google
a·baft
əˈbaft/
Nautical
adverb: abaft

in or behind the stern of a ship.

preposition: abaft

nearer the stern than; behind. "the yacht has a shower just abaft the galley"
Not having seen the actual frame, with 1" tubing on 24" centers I'd gusset the h*ll out of the corners and use high tech adhesives to make the luan a stressed skin. Also if you have square corners at the top front replace the whole corner with a triangular gusset.

U-Haul trailers are an example of the round-edged quarter-sphere-capped corners you want. Is it not too late to revise the framing?

If you can't get a 90° radius because of the doors even a 45° inward canted fin would help, or a 'Gurney flap' on the door itself. '56 Chevy hardtops had a spring-loaded weatherstrip that flipped down over the door windows (if they were up) but flipped up when the door opened.

Edit: Also here's a design for a VW van I no longer own. This one's based on an old locomotive. Nothing but a paint dividing line down the side with a lower front add-on and a boat tail rear.

Well. it works with the VW's hinge-line.