View Single Post
Old 12-29-2016, 05:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
cajunfj40
Lurking Eco-wall-o-texter

oil pan 4:

Quote:
The rear O2 sensor code won't effect anything unless the converter clogs up.
Thanks, I figured as such. Annoying that I can't tell the CEL: "Yes, I know, the rear O2 sensor(s) is(are) bad, can you go off and only come on again when something *new* happens?"

Quote:
Check the odometer against the mile markers too.
Did that today after I saw your suggestion. I got a bit of a surprise when my first attempt came out almost exactly 0.1 mile off - must have not been room to put it in the right spot with all the exits or something. The next two miles were pretty much dead on, at least within the margin of error of watching a small moving number on the dash and a much faster moving number on the sign and trying to get them synced without hitting anyone or driving off the road...

Quote:
We had one of the heaps when I lived in Maine because it was cheap 4wd. It only got up to about 15mpg when we did take it out on the highway.
"heap" as in Jeep? Honestly, 15mpg was about what I expected out of the truck. I'm still surprised that my first tank was nearly 20mpg.

Stubby79:

Quote:
getting 20 mpg out of one of those beasts is pretty good. The question is: can you keep it up?
I thought so too - that's at the top of the EPA range. I hope I can keep it up! We'll see how the next few tanks go as I get into a routine and the desire to punch it and see what the new toy can do wears off.

Quote:
You'll probably have to get creative to get much more out of it. Good luck!
Yes, I figure. Should be an interesting game.

19bonestock88:

Quote:
Fairly recently, I had a 95 Ranger, 4.0/5speed... Given that mine was 2wd(yours is 4wd?), I got some pretty decent mileage... That OHV doesn't like to rev high though, I kept mine under 2000 RPM most of the time... If you landed a 2wd rig, search junkyards for some 3.08 rear gears, you'll turn under 2k RPM at 60mph, and I think the engine can handle it...
Mine's got what I've decided to call Ford's "Truck Version" AWD with low range: no hubs, the front axle and driveshaft always spins, and the system watches for speed mismatches to tell whether the rear is slipping so it needs to apply the center transfercase clutch to connect power to the front axle. I appear to be shifting at 2000-2500 RPM, 55MPH is right around 1800RPM or so, IIRC. Pretty sure this one has 3.55 gearing but I haven't checked the axle code to be sure. Hmm - Math suggests 3.55 is pretty likely, if I take ~1700 at 55 and ~1900 at 65. Seems to do fine at that speed - holds uphill with the cruise set, any speed 50 or higher, in 5th. No massive vibrations or anything.

Working on smoother driving - have to get used to this clutch. First gear feels a bit steep. If I get ambitious (and get cash) I could swap in gears from a smaller-engined Ranger manual, and get a lower 1-3 gearset. Or go nuts and put in a ZF-5 wide-ratio but I don't think I'll find a bellhousing that'll bolt to the V6. Either way, that'd let me go with steeper final gearing or taller tires without much change from stock feel. Spendy, though - I'll do "hard parts" changes last.

Thanks, all!