View Single Post
Old 12-30-2016, 10:28 PM   #61 (permalink)
CR-Z-BUZZ
EcoModding Lurker

I have been looking at this thread for quite some time because I bought a slightly used 2014 Honda CRZ and it has the factory Dunlop tires (195/55/16)

I'm thinking about putting on a set of the Michelin AS energy savers in 205/65/16

Now I know this is oversized, duh! But I read nothing about them causing any rubbing issues, so I assume there are not any rubbing issues ...correct?

I have many motivations to switch to this size besides better gas milage, and they are: better traction in snow, I recently found out the factory tires had poor traction in snow evan though they have only 16,000 miles on them.

2. Better resistance to potential damage from potholes, having a treadwall that is 65 instead of 55 is over an inch more between my rim and the edge of nasty pavement.

3. I surmise that having a tire that has an overall diameter which is about 2" taller is going to make the ride less jittery, and that is less noise too.

So, I have looked about on google images, and can not find any pics of a Honda CRZ with the stock rims but with the taller 65 treadwall tires, I'd imagine it will look better..but i can't find a pic...anybody? This should give the appearance closer to a cross-over vehicle, should lessen the gap between the fender and the tire as it would do if it had lowering springs.

Yesterday after work i drove it to Discount Tire, I'd been doing business with them for decades..really trust them. And as I suspected, he'd say "that won't fit".. and guess what? He said "that won't fit".. So with that said, I said there is a forum (this one) and at least one poster said this size will fit. I'd been thru this putting wheels and tires on my '12 Camaro, it was like being on trial..had to tell them dozen's have put the size I want with no rubbing issues..

So I expect "yes they fit, no rub issues"..that said let's go from there..the
tires I'm told will have a $75 rebate from Jan 1 to the 14th so I said I'd possibly come back next week. He also told me they offer the same tire with a higher speed rating, will look into that later.

BTW Discount tire does not offer siping service anymore, a process which cuts micro grooves into the treads to get better traction.

Other tires of that size that interested me were the Continental "pure contact", similar to the Michelin's in that they are an energy saver rated tire and have an evan higher treadwear rating, slightly greater speed rating. The price was lower but with the $75 rebate (only avail. when buying 4 tires)..than the Michelin's would cost less.

Driving the Honda now about 1K miles, I find the "sport" mode to be a bit too
high rev. so if I'm lowering my revs with the taller tires than it might seem to be more useable. Mine is an automatic so I'm not concerned about more clutch wear and tear.

BTW, one of my tires has a slice in the sidewall, it's not buldging now but it could lead to a blow out, just another reason to motivate me toward other tires. The Honda CRZ forum does not regard the factory Dunlop tires very highly. It seems nobody at the Honda CRZ forum is at all interested in this type of tire/wheel size, they all went to 17" or 18" rims with lower treadwalls and or lowering springs. This thread was found doing a google search for "taller treadwall or taller tires...honda crz"..images..

I highly recommend Discount tire, I've bought tires and wheels from them on my last 4 cars over the last 24 years, they never ripped me off (to say the least)...and the life time warranty is really a great deal. That other place has the "out the door" price..yeah, they told me the price and I went out the door

On one hand I hate to replace tires with only 16K miles on them, I guess a salvage yard may give me a few bucks for them,..but on other hand the benefits might actually be worth it, btw my 1st post..t.i.a. and H.N.Y!