View Single Post
Old 12-31-2016, 10:08 PM   #294 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
Do you remember what difficulty you had removing your oil pan? I had a stuck 14mm nut on the exhaust pipe that goes over it and eventually hammered a 13mm socket onto it, which I still have not figured out how to remove!

It took me a month or two to get to that point.
I don't remember having a problem like that. I had two issues. One was that the bolts themselves were of an odd construction. The head was actually a nut and could come off. Weird! It was definitely OEM. So I had worries about stripping the aluminum with the steel bolts because it was hard to judge torque, IIRC. The bigger problem was the 1998-installed oil-pan gasket. It must have been leaking a little, but aince there was also a main seal leak and oil everywhere I could not easily tell if or how much oil it might ave been leaking. The gasket was cracking and impossible to remove. I spent hours scrapping it off, in a hunched over position (stupid move) and ended up with significant and lasting lower back pain. The gasket was the worst part of the task BY FAR.

Quote:
It is weird to see people with non-lean-burn Civics getting better fuel economy than my HX. Someone once asked me what I was doing wrong that I only got 45 MPG.
GThe lean burn cars get driven at steady-speeds more often. They get great FE for little effort in LB. But I can do better with much more effort and pulse and glide. LB, truthfully, is cooler. But I do not like the added complexities (small as they are by current standards) in special O2 sensors to buy and EGR cleaning and such. My car is simple, cheap... a FE champ.

Quote:
Is this that cyberbullying I read about on Facebook?
... no.

Quote:
You listed top three modifications in #261:
CX transmission. Balto always says that is a no-go for an HX.
Injector kill switch: I engine-off whenever I will coast a couple of blocks. Perhaps it would be better to just stay in-gear and rely on DFCO. I understand why the switch is better than wearing out my ignition, just not how it would affect my efficiency.
Power steering delete: I did that two and a half years ago.
I see lots of different claims about what RPM band LB works with. Among them 1800 rpms and up. With my 1993 CX transmission, with 13" VX wheels and 175/70 tires, I am at 2000 by the time I reach 60mph. But you should defer to the experience of dudes who drive the LB engines.

Quote:
Next!
Air dam and grill blocking: I did it my way!
Do you show the ducted opening to radiator?
I don't. I basically just used pipe insulation foam, coroplast sheets, and foil tape and zip ties to close off all awenues around the radiator. Trial and error.

Quote:
I drive in the Arizona summer without air conditioning, but I turn it on for my passengers, although it gets weird when they cannot decide if they are warm or cold, and they want my car and I to suffer for it.

How do you manage without a defroster, you maniac?!

...Your carpet does not get dirty? Mine does!
My carpets do get dirty! And on a few days of the year, I regret the AC delete a little, truth be told. But only a little. Southern Cali is just that mild. Ditto with the defroster. I have a wiper blade in the car that I use to remove condensation and dew in the morning during the winter rainy season. One wipe and I am usually done. Southern Cali is like that.

Quote:
Eh. Anyway. I have hardly worked on any projects recently. I finally got to bed at a decent time, but the second time I woke up I took Benadryl for my allergies, and then slept until after 1300. I am supposed to meet up with someone in less than half an hour and I already canceled on her once.

On top of all of my projects, I have progress reports due soon.
I will look forward to your progress report. I have been stalled since summer. I did a write up for a CAT cleaning technique but then the authorities effed-up my paperwork so badly that I got delayed and messed up. Long story. I'll post updates eventually too. Let's see who updates first! Maniac!
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.