View Single Post
Old 01-01-2017, 05:28 AM   #16 (permalink)
gregsfc
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHOTDI View Post
. Although I would be thrilled with 150mpg, i think there is potentially more available there with the little CBR! :{)
Please clarify or elaborate HHOTDI. More potential than which models? Do you think just more than Ninjas' and bigger bikes like mine? The new 300 CBRs'? The new Rebel 300s? Or are you saying more than any production gas bike when ecomodded to the extreme?

I get what Scott is saying about the new Rebel 300. It's so low already, so no frame cutting needed; it starts light like the other 300s; it's already got one of the most economical mc power trains ever mass produced that is already highway capable, but would be even more so when made more slippery; and so it's a bike now out there that someone could buy used in a few months and then modify it much more easily, simply and cheaply than other bikes available before now. It would likely break through the 200 mark if it were on a ride like the typical AMA with good warm weather and a ride that is impossible to convoy at a high speed safely on the run.

But it seems to me that if Alan and Vic wind down, that there are no young whipersnappers' coming up that have the finances, skill, and time, and are motivated to do a Rebel 300 project that I know of? From what I've seen and read lately, the electric folks are the one's doing most of the work, and while I'm interested in their work, I'm so far unimpressed due to how heavy, elaborate, complex, expensive, low ranged and impractical they are compared to what is possible with a new generation Honda streamliner. I think the electrics may start winning the contests regularly, but from a practicality and daily rider concept, the gas streamliners are far, far ahead.

Most of us like what we like in what we want to ride, 200 mpg be dam*ed, including me, and that's a good thing. So I don't know if we'll get to see two or three of these built and ridden in the challenges, but I wouldn't do it if I was able . My interest and desire would be to Ecomod a lower revving, bigger cc, higher hp bike just like Fred did and show whoever might care that there is more than one way to achieve great mpg on power two wheels than the minimalist approach, and small displacement, so often proclaimed by Craig as the only way. But that doesn't mean I'm not absolutely fascinated by what others are doing and improving upon in different ways.

For instance, I love to watch how the forward-leaning, tucking, sport bike guys keep creeping up towards the so-called only-way-to-do-it Vetter machines, and I say that with great respect and reverence for those guys and their work, but I still love to see their methods challenged. Scott's run last year was amazing with basically just a tail and gearing changes, and I used to love to see what Fred could do with, supposedly, too much horsepower and torque, 31 & 35 respectively, and the wrong kind of streamline shaping.

Getting Honda 250s or 300s in this thing with the same level of work as has been done with the Ninjas would be really cool, but it's not for me personally even if I were able. I like cruising at or about 3000 RPM at 60+ mph and would love to see how far I could take that technology; not to win of course, but a 120 score would be an amazing thing with 47 rated horsepower engine and 500+ pounds on two wheels.