View Single Post
Old 01-06-2017, 08:54 PM   #11 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,381 Times in 3,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cd View Post
Oh cool ! I was actually going to ask you folks that have a Prius if you can have commands like this using the Prius voice recognition system.

I did see the buttons on the steering wheel, but I don't think you can do anything like I mentioned.

Getting back to Alexa, I would have thought that you could choose from a list of names.
What happens if there is a person in the house that also has the same name ?
I never use voice commands with the Prius, although I might explore the capability more now that you mention it. My Acura was pretty good at deciphering commands, and you could control climate settings as well as make phone calls.

Steering wheel controls are very handy. I use 'em for cruise, stereo, and temperature control

Voice appliances are still to new to be as useful as they can be. Not being able to choose your own key-phrase is a problem. What I find even more bothersome is the inability of these devices to distinguish who is talking. Everyone has their own smart phones these days along with their own calendar and contacts. The smart appliances can only connect to 1 account, and if someone else asks the appliance to add something to the calendar, it puts it in that 1 account.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksa8907 View Post
I made the observation a while back, even if everything every person on this planet ever said was recorded, what good would it do? It would take someone or possibly software to sort through it.
That's the real danger; being categorized by algorithms that lack the ability to consider context or nuance. I'm ineligible to take advantage of airline Pre-check due to an algorithm that has already excluded me, with no human consideration or thought process to back that decision.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
Xist (01-08-2017)