View Single Post
Old 01-11-2017, 03:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
dfeldt91
EcoModding Apprentice

Kelly - '00 Honda Insight
Turtle First Gen Insight Build Thread

Picked up a 2000 Honda Insight with 183k miles, manual transmission, clean interior and exterior, and the previous owner was nice enough to include a bunch of extras. I got two filters, 2 brand new Potenza RE92's, a full size spare, aftermarket speakers/sub/head unit, a cruise control unit that I haven't figured out, and a grid charger.

The first owner installed a full regen button.

Aside from a tiny bit of engine vibration, the car is great. I got 68 mpg on my 50 mile trip back home on the highway. Doing the same trip in reverse, I was able to get 76 mpg.

The car is really clean for 17 years old. Everything just seems to work, and well. Nothing is broken.

The only issue I have is that the car comes out of lean burn too easily, drops down to 50 mpg so I have to let off the gas to get it back in lean burn so it'll bump back up to around 75/80 mpg. I'd probably get a few mpg better if it weren't to do that. Maybe it'll just take a bit to get used to it and it won't be an issue later on.

For mods, I'll inflate the tires quite a bit, possibly lower the ride height, delete the rear wiper and antenna, rig up a full assist mode, and some other stuff as time goes on. This is going to be an awesome adventure!

Here she is:

For now, the Insight is safe from extreme modification, however in the future I would love to throw in a 1.8 liter turbo engine from a Volkswagen/Audi and make it a mid engined RWD Insight. I'm thinking about 250 horsepower at 1800 pounds. A weight to power ratio of 7.2 would put this car right at the level of a 2017 Corvette Stingray. While being extremely fast, the car would also get amazing economy on the road, definitely not as good as the Insight with original engine/motor though. It would be worth it to me to have a car that is extremely fun to drive, gets good gas mileage and is a sleeper. Only time will tell which way I go with this car.

Last edited by dfeldt91; 01-13-2017 at 08:17 PM..