View Single Post
Old 01-12-2017, 12:50 AM   #98 (permalink)
Hersbird
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,178 Times in 807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by racprops View Post
Well I just may understand it better than you think. Only 30% is making POWER, that is burning and expanding during the part of the cycle that can put power to the crank, and that is about 70% of the down stroke of the piston from top dead center.

Granted another 40/50% is still burning though bottom dead center and during the returning up stroke of the piston and though the exhaust cycle and still burning on its way out the exhaust port, pass the exhaust valve and into the exhaust manifold.

Which is one reason ICEs get so damn hot the exhaust temps can run in the 1000s of degrees and the exhaust manifold runs very hot.

I have seen test bench runs of an ICE at full throttle where the manifolds and exhaust pipes can glow bright red with the heat.

NOW IF we can supply pure vapor it is said it will not need any lead time (zero advance timing) and will burn very fast and will have produced power for the 30% of the real power stroke and be completely burn out at that point. This very fast burn of only the 30% of fuel in the 30% of the real power stroke from top dead center to say 75% of the down stroke can produce just as much power with no left over waste of burn fuel.

SO if you get the same power with fast burning vapor you only need say 30% so you get much better MPG by not using the other 70% of normal fuel use/waste.

GET IT???
The can get that hot at WOT or basically making a ton of power, but just putting around as any vapor carb out there does, they don't get that hot. You want to build a motor that can't make much power, runs cool and lean with ATDC timing, you can do it without any magic cracking of the gas. You still are going to get heat and friction losses. You are also going to have emissions higher than allowed by Big Brother. You create a market for 30 hp cars, and then allow the makers to tune them for economy, emissions be dammed, and you will get better results then any vapor carb out there.

Smokey Ynick had the best most thought out setup out there but it ended up being the exact opposite of what you say. It had insane internal temps apparently. I bet the reason it never really saw the light of day was it ate itself up in sort order, or was completely full of exotic high dollar parts. Basically compared to other super high dollar exotic built for one purpose motors of the day, like say formula 1, a joke in comparison. His only claim on economy way "up to" 51 mpg which is pretty shady claim. My 454 Suburban got "up to" 51 mpg, heck it got "up to" infinity if you just shut off the motor once at speed.