View Single Post
Old 01-12-2017, 01:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
Your instruction goes into much more depth than I go.

I tried to teach my sister, but when she tried to shift to 1st at 40 MPH without using the clutch, I gave up. She's a bad driver in nearly all aspects and probably a menace to society.

My wife took to it quickly. She was stalling out over and over, and I kept telling her to slowly let out the clutch, but that didn't change her behavior. Finally I told her to "take an eternity; an uncomfortably long amount of time" to let out the clutch, and from then on she had it. I also taught her friend in a Jeep that someone let her borrow even though she didn't know how to drive a manual.

There is a coworker that is interested in a sporty car, like a used Miata or Porsche, so I want to teach him how to drive a manual and get full enjoyment out of owning a sports car. Probably should wait for the foot of snow that PDX got, to melt first.

I have too many vehicles at the moment and need to sell something. I'm so happy with my Acura TSX that I'd hate to see it go. My plan is to someday teach my kids to drive that 6-speed (don't have any kids at the moment). They will be the only ones that drive a manual to school. Heck, they might be the only ones to drive a car instead of having autopilot chauffeur them.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 02-15-2017 at 11:03 PM..