View Single Post
Old 01-12-2017, 03:45 PM   #58 (permalink)
jkv357
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumby79 View Post
A simple Google. First result is:

In summary the article stated that 1or more manufacturer didn't want to spend the money in the wind tunnel to develop the technology. So a simple no action, resulting in the technology being ban.

In my opinion this was a simple way to remove a competitive advantage. And a way to save money on there R&D budget.

This is an excellent example of a good technological advancement that would have made it to street bikes,but was killed by a desire to not keep up with the Jones's.
Dreem big chisel down to reality.
Ya, I get what wings were used for, but if Ducati could find them useful I'm sure that The Honda could figure out how to make them work. The fact that Yamaha and HRC tried them and didn't use them consistently says that maybe they weren't all that.

Reducing R&D costs is the main focus of almost all new rules at this point.

I don't think that additional MotoGP wing development would have benefited street bikes very much, but that didn't stop Kawasaki from going nuts with them on the H2R - https://i.ytimg.com/vi/N3QvX24iBiE/maxresdefault.jpg

Kawasaki and Ducati were relying on big power to get all that top speed, because those wings aren't helping (except for reducing the need for more electronic wheelie control when accelerating at speed).

Last edited by jkv357; 01-12-2017 at 05:31 PM..