View Single Post
Old 01-13-2017, 05:30 PM   #60 (permalink)
slime
EcoModding Lurker

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Moore View Post
Chances are, if they ARE using funky bodywork, it is probably just a gimmick too.

It is surprising how, over the last 45+ years, I keep seeing road racers at high levels of competition using really funky bodywork. The details may be "rocket science" but what is needed as a good starting point has been out in the public arena all that time. I've pointed out to many people that a fairing that leaves 4" of rider hanging out all the way around isn't doing much good, though that usually results in a blank stare in return.

A kind of related anecodote: I used to be the North American distributor for John Bradley's two volume set of "The Racing Motorcycle: a technical guide for constructors" (and John is working on Vol 3). I sold copies to all the major manufacturer US branches and John sold plenty of books to national/international level racers/teams. John mentioned that it wasn't uncommon to stop off at a club race to show the books around and get a "meh, why would I want a book like this, I'm a RACER" response. On the other hand, go to a big national/international race and they were an easy sell.

I remember selling a copy of Vol 1 (the book with the aerodynamics/chassis dynamics stuff) to a bike drag racer, and he couldn't see any reason it would help him so I took the book back and refunded his money. Showing V1 to another drag racer (and a much more successful one) had him saying "wow, I'm so going to use this and cut my times/boost my speed at the strip".

You can lead a racer to the river of knowledge, but you can't make him take a drink from it, especially if he hasn't seen whatever you are offering in the monthly magazines.

BTW while Vol 1 & 2 are out of print (John will reprint when Vol 3 is done) there are a few copies of them that show up on eBay now and then, more so Volume 1 than V2. The page with results from wind tunnel-tested modifications to the Can Am 125/175 LSR bikes is very interesting.

cheers,
Michael
Volume One is on Amazon!