View Single Post
Old 01-16-2017, 12:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
vskid3
Master EcoModder

Civic DX (sold) - '97 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 34.15 mpg (US)

GTO (sold) - '04 Pontiac GTO
90 day: 22.62 mpg (US)

Green Brick (sold) - '06 Ford Escape Hybrid
90 day: 31.93 mpg (US)
All depends on what kind of grill block you're running, the driving you're doing, and how much heat you're taking for the cabin. My Prius has a full grill block and still only gets to 150-160F driving around town when it's 30F out (this is usually with some cabin heat and pretty short trips). Doing 80MPH in the 30s gets coolant temps of ~203F, which is definitely on the higher end. Coolant temps are even high going more reasonable freeway speeds, so I take out half of one of the pieces of pipe insulation in the top grill (leaving 3/4ths of the top still blocked) if I'm going to be driving far in the 30s+. At 20F or lower, it'll stay at around 190F doing 80MPH with the full block.

With your higher winter temps, I wouldn't do a full block unless you're only doing short trips. Lower grill block should be fine, though, I was able to run one most of the year when I was in El Paso. Definitely get a Scangauge, Ultragauge, or bluetooth adapter with Torque app to monitor the coolant temps to stay safe when blocking the grill.

Camry Thread
E-Bike Thread