View Single Post
Old 01-22-2017, 04:17 PM   #30 (permalink)
aardvarcus
Master EcoModder

Deep Blue - '94 GMC Suburban K2500 SLE
90 day: 23.75 mpg (US)

Griffin (T4R) - '99 Toyota 4Runner SR5
90 day: 25.43 mpg (US)
Made some more progress on the new engine. Got the 12V fuel shutoff solenoid swapped, and put the cover back on. I did not change out the other 24V solenoids on the injection pump as they are for cold engine idle/timing and not 100% mission critical, I thought about running a small 12V to 24V converter as that would be significantly less expensive than replacing the remaining solenoids. The converter would be downstream of the sensor, so it would only be powered up when the engine was cold, not the whole time it is running. Anyway if they don't work right I can always change them out later. Besides if they don't work, the engine will still run and drive just fine, just will run rougher when it is cold.

Flipped the engine upside down on the stand, found a bit more oil and coolant that hadn't quite been drained out yet. Pulled off the Humvee oil pan which won't clear the differential, and test fit the truck style oil pan, which I had purchased as a cheap new takeoff item from a boat engine company. As my research had already indicated, I ran into clearance issues with the Humvee style oil pickup. Instead of replacing the pickup tube, which is the typical fix, I simply adjusted the bracket holding the pickup tube to move it down 3/8 of an inch (down on an upside down engine). Then I clearanced the tray that divides the oil pan in half to allow the pickup to pass by it.

After pulling out the glow plugs, I was able to turn the engine over by hand and check out the engine bores. Everything looked nice and clean, no visible scratches or issues. Since the bottom end looked so nice, I decided not to pull the heads, to not have to replace the head gaskets and torque to yield bolts unnecessarily.

I picked up some permatex sealant, so I hope to get the oil pan reinstalled and back on the engine this evening, so that I can flip it back upright. Getting close to time to pull the old engine out of the engine bay, and start to swap over accessories and brackets.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06783.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	21216   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06786.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	21217   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06787.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	21218   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06794.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	21219  

Last edited by aardvarcus; 01-23-2017 at 07:36 AM.. Reason: One edit and pictures
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aardvarcus For This Useful Post:
me and my metro (01-22-2017), oldtamiyaphile (01-23-2017), slowmover (01-22-2017)