View Single Post
Old 01-30-2017, 12:22 AM   #22 (permalink)
treekids
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregsfc View Post
I'm going to be very limited on what I can modify for the Vetter FE event this summer if I make it due to financial constraints and my lack of mechanical abilities, however, I'd previously had an idea for some kind of cloth or stretchy material to use between my lower torso half and a box that is behind me on the seat. The material would be semi-permanently attached to the front end of what ever box I use and then would attach to the sides of my suit or wrap around my waist after mounting the motorcycle. When I ride upright, the material would be loose but when I lean in and tuck, the material would take up the space between my lower torso and the box. I plan on a taller box (maybe a true, rectangular milk crate or something similar but not big enough to meet the 4-bag rule). What do you aero smart guys and gals think? Would it make it dangerous in a layover? It would pretty easily break away. I don't know...It was just a thought, as I'm not going to be able to do any real body work.

I'm also looking to maximize the windshield and mount for the event or maybe just take it off, but I don't have a clue other than to look at what some of you guys have and hope it helps for my style of bike that is an upright seater and puts my body far from the windshield even when I'm tucking, but that probably better for a separate post.

I rode at the 2014 event and somehow achieved 96.9 by my own records and 101.82 for the official records; this beat my own best record for a tank by 12 mpg and I still am not sure if that can be replicated or if it was some kind of anomaly, as I don't usually have mpg anomalies. Back then I had a large Dewalt tool box on there and my windshield mount fell down sort of at the last minute as there were some conical washers that broke. This caused the windshield to sit at a more obtuse angle and it put the air coming right at my face, but I wonder if this helped create some kind of streamline effect when I tucked in.

Any thoughts regarding some kind of material between my torso and the box and/or how to configure it would be welcomed
I'm wanting to do something like that. I have coroplast and access to a lasercutter. I'm thinking lasercut ply with that heatshrink insulation material might make for some smooth curves. But look what Vic Valdez did with corrugated plastic.