View Single Post
Old 01-31-2017, 06:18 AM   #23 (permalink)
gregsfc
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Wear a long coat with weights in the hem and throw it over the box?
Thanks! Might just work; or something similar. I need to keep it as simple as possible. This helps me think about covering the gap between me and the box in a whole new way.

If I had good construction skills, it would not be very expensive or complicated to design and build a tail body with storage myself. I could end up with a tail system much like Sendler's only even more simply removed for service or for going back to stock for 2up riding. It would be very easy to attach a tail system on the CTX700 with its removable, latching/locking-style seat; it's just the actual construction where I struggle. I've got to at least have some collaborators in person to help with details and probably someone to help with the actual construction to ever be successful.

The way in which the CTX700 seat is constructed one could build a custom seat wherein the seat included the tail/box in its construction and then easily locked on and supported with loops that would hook onto the pillion grab bars or luggage hooks or both. It could even be a one piece design with a push button unlock to remove and a snap-on self lock when mounting the tail and custom seat together on the bike, because that's how the stock seat mounts only it's a key-required unlock. But that seat lock is very strong. One could easily and quickly switch back and forth from a stock seat with a pillion half to a rider-only seat with a built in tail/box.

I'd have to do some aero math to determine at what point along the taper it'd need to be cut it off based on the total bike length, but I believe I've previously found that info on the www. My problem though is the same thing I face at work all the time. I'm good at coming up with ideas for making tasks better and/or easier and/or faster, but I'm not that guy that can easily or quickly or cheaply execute those ideas to try them out and then make adjustments. Below is an image of one of my few successes at implementing an idea at work. It did solve lots of issues for our team, but it cost me months of time and lots of brain cramps to get it done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PW contraption.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	21258