View Single Post
Old 02-02-2017, 08:04 PM   #33 (permalink)
cRiPpLe_rOoStEr
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by me and my metro View Post
It is the 54 degree v-6 Opel engine. 3.0 liters. Dual ohc belt engine, GM put in Saabs, Cadillac Cateras and these Saturns here in the states. The Saab had a single low pressure turbo running off one bank of cylinders. The Catera is an Opel Omega a rwd car, and the Saturn is a Vectra B.
It's quite surprising to me that GM resorted to an engine made in England for the L-Series instead of something cheaper and locally-made. I know the Omega, and IIRC the Catera was based on its 2dn generation which is quite similar to the Australian derivative that was sold in my country as a replacement for the locally-made 1st-generation Omega.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post

Here's an example: A Mendeola Brothers double-A-arm suspension on a [Super?]Beetle floorpan. Compared to torsion bars or Macpherson struts it more refined in anti-dive and anti-squat. Off-road racers eventually go to (long travel) A-arms.
I've already seen pictures of Baja bugs with the double-A arm front suspension setup. Looks great, but due to the cost and my performance requirements being more modest for a recreational off-road rig I'd probably stick with torsion bars or eventually upgrade to McPhersons just for the space-saving. It would be enough for me just to go visit the relatives near the Brazil-Uruguay border.

Quote:
The rear trailing arm is similar in geometry to the VW, but the torsion bar housing is gone and the shocks are no longer upright, but laid down in the trailing arm. That makes for more usable interior space.
I noticed the shocks were no longer upright, but didn't realise it could make for more usable interior space. Sounds perfect to bring more stuff from those shopping trips in Uruguay.

Quote:
So far as that goes, I prolly want a 356 coupe.
I like the 356 too, and even though I'm usually more favorable to coupés I'd probably be more inclined towards a roadster.