View Single Post
Old 02-03-2017, 05:05 PM   #26 (permalink)
Aeroguy
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks for the info on Biomimicry. I'm not trying to complain or anything but the CAD software I use (Inventor) really does not enjoy making waves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kach22i View Post
1. You will need a baseline testing of the car model as stock, no attachments at all.

2. I suggest measuring a baseline for a standard aftermarket wing.

3. I suggest measuring a baseline for a standard rear spoiler similar to the one on your Z-car.

4. Once you have this baseline data you will have something to compare your new fangled designs to.

5. A definition of victory must be defined, a definition of "optimal" must be established. Is it to be low drag, high down-force, or some balance of the two set by some sort of complex math theorem or simple ratio?
1. That was one of the very first things I did.

2. I sort of have that, there isn't really a "standard" rear spoiler but I could certainly test the more popular ones like for instance this one is the same type of spoiler our racecar had before we slapped a huge superbird style wing to it (story for a different time).

3. I don't have a 240z, I wish. There was I think a spoiler that come with the civic model but it involved cutting into the trunk so that's out.

5. For the time being, the ultimate goal question is sort of one of those bridges I will cross when I get there. I think the downforce to drag ratio is an ok target.

I am very new to the world of wind tunnel testing and thus am relatively unsure of how the percent of blockage would effect results. Personally I think that as long as all the tests are down under mostly the same variables the numbers should be comparable.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aeroguy For This Useful Post:
aerohead (02-04-2017)