View Single Post
Old 02-05-2017, 11:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
bwilson4web
Engineering first

17 i3-REx - '14 BMW i3-REx
Last 3: 45.67 mpg (US)

Blue Bob's - '19 Tesla Std Rng Plus
For $8k, I sold our 2010 Prius, 73k, with extras: 2" receiver; Garmin nuvi; and fittings for 1kW inverter. The replacement is a 2017 Prius Prime Plus (lowest trim), $28.5k, bought in North Kingstown, RI, which I picked up Jan 19 and drove home Jan 20. I'm expecting a $4.5k Federal tax credit for the car and $1k tax credit for the EV charging station.

It was a 1,200 mile, 21 hour, drive home via Wilkes-Barre PA and I-81. Using dynamic cruise control, speeds ran 65-70 mph behind trucks (i.e., constant speed) and the car delivered 55.7 MPG. After topping off the tank outside Hamden CT where I visited my brother Dave, I took the occasional biology breaks and next filled up 10.9 gal in Daleville, VA.

I bought the 2017 Prius Prime Plus for dynamic cruise control and accident avoidance and it also has lane keep assist. These convert driving long distances from a chore to 'sitting in a comfy chair' and listening to my iPhone music collection.

I drove the rest of the tank around town until it ran out of gas. Much to my surprise, adding the spare 1 gallon was not enough to get the car running again. Using a leather man, multi-tool, a Power-ON reset by disconnecting and reconnecting the battery B- solved the problem. I did not see an indicator that the last of the gas has been burned.

The past six days I've been driving exclusively EV for 244 miles. The 25 mile EV range, ~1/3d of the BMW i3-REx, means I am more frequently using local, free, L2 (210-240VAC) chargers at a somewhat lethargic 16A charge rate, ~10 miles each hour. The BMW i3-REx is 31-32A, twice the rate.

At lunch time, I drive 0.25 miles away to UAH to get a free charge and pickup lunch at Dunkin Donuts, Chick Fil A, or the student cafeteria. This means I have pretty much a full charge for the commute home. On the way home, I shop at where there are free L2 chargers. The result is I'm only paying for about half of my EV miles.

A new model, there is no Prius Prime receiver hitch like the 2" added to our BMW i3-REx. I use it to carry my wife's manual wheelchair. But hopefully we'll see one show up this year or I'll have to make one.

I have a plan to add 2-3 gallons to the BMW i3-REx that will double the gas range up to ~150 miles. Then we'll have two plug-in vehicles with reasonable, safe, long-legs.

Bob Wilson
The Following User Says Thank You to bwilson4web For This Useful Post:
Daox (02-05-2017)