View Single Post
Old 02-05-2017, 02:18 PM   #36 (permalink)
Stubby79
Master EcoModder

Firefly EV - '98 Pontiac Firefly EV
90 day: 107.65 mpg (US)

Little Boy Blue - '05 Toyota Echo
90 day: 33.35 mpg (US)

BlueZ - '19 Nissan 370Z Sport
90 day: 17.19 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kach22i View Post
I think your are talking about what I did a few years ago. However I was calling it "scaling the template down in size to fit the canopy".

It was explained to me this does not work because of the ground pressure wave consideration. In other words the template is sized for the height (high point), and that's that.

Now if you are looking at really low exotic cars, I have yet to see one lower than the template would allow for.

Either way, such a question is best poised with a graphic for clarification. Otherwise we can only guess at what you really mean.

The posts I'm thinking of are in the Aero-Template thread (a sticky thread), but also see Neil's post #58 in link below.

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...t-20793-6.html
Your "scaling it down to fit the canopy" bit was exactly what I was talking about, where you had the template superimposed over the canopy only. I saw a reply or two that said it wouldn't work but didn't really explain why.

Post #58 that you pointed out explains it a bit better. Didn't see that one. #72 was the reply I read. Maybe the terminology went over my head.

Is it just a coincidence that it scales almost perfectly? Or were they mistaken in the same way I am? Perhaps it's the shape the air takes as the front of the car pushes it up and over the whole vehicle that counts?

The glass/cockpit on a fighter jet also looks like a scaled-down version to me...

I would think a specific angle would prevent separation, regardless of the scale of said object. And/or said angle might get smaller and smaller the faster said object is designed to go, so it would get "stretched" out more and more to prevent separation.

That's probably a lot more to this than seems obvious to someone uneducated about it, such as myself.