View Single Post
Old 02-07-2017, 08:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
cRiPpLe_rOoStEr
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkeysmall View Post
Ive also been toying with the idea of turning it into a homebrew hybrid. My thoughts are to get a 50 hp electric motor, appropiate controller and decent amount of battery to cruise 50 miles on a charge. If even possible. With regen braking and a manual transmission i think that alone could massively improve efficiency. To do it i would put the electric motor just behind and to the side of the transmission/transfercase. The driveshaft is a two piece unit, meaning halfof the shaft stays at the same angle all the time. I think i could do a belt drive to that to drive the wheels. Ive also had thoughts of raiding a prius and somehow jamming that in to drive the back, and convert the v10 to drive the front. But thats just silly.
That part doesn't sound impossible at all, but I still believe you'd be better off working around the electric drive unit applied to the rear axle of those Toyota Highlander hybrid SUVs and repurpose it to drive the front wheels of your rig. Attempting to make the V10 drive the front wheels would be not impossible at all, but not worth the endeavor since you'd presumably have to repurpose a transfer case to set the angle from the transmission to the front differential and that would add some weight and friction.