View Single Post
Old 02-07-2017, 09:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Sparkeysmall
EcoModding Lurker

The pig - '99 Dodge Ram 3500 Slt
90 day: 11.99 mpg (US)

The ST - '93 Honda ST1100
90 day: 38.68 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
That part doesn't sound impossible at all, but I still believe you'd be better off working around the electric drive unit applied to the rear axle of those Toyota Highlander hybrid SUVs and repurpose it to drive the front wheels of your rig. Attempting to make the V10 drive the front wheels would be not impossible at all, but not worth the endeavor since you'd presumably have to repurpose a transfer case to set the angle from the transmission to the front differential and that would add some weight and friction.
Ill do some research. Im pretty cheap when it comes to buying things. Very few things i have bought new. If i can get an electric drive system for far less than the $10,000 ive been able to put together online then we're on to something. And the main reason im doing all this is to save some cash in the long run.

I really like the idea of a hybrid and ev. The problem with full ev is range. As soon as they figure out a 300 mile battery that fills in a few hours ide be all over it. (Super capacitor?). And hybrids are an ingenious solution to a problem that should have never existed in the first place. Being able to store braking energy i think is a technical marvel. Of course its just science. But brilliant in an oil fueled world.

I read something about an energy aborbing suspension. And made me start thinking "how would i build that". If i could run a rack and pinion. Rack moves with the suspenison and pinion driving a generator. How much dampening effect would it have. Ive been dreaming up a tube frame luxury car for a long time and keep adding new theories to it. It would have a fully adjustable suspension for optimal ride comfort. And therefor would move alot. I want to do some form of hybrid or electric drive to make it as quiet as possible. (Again, this car is just a theory in my head. But its gonna happen. When i have a shop to play around in.)

A nuclear powered car would be awesome. Never have to put anything but water into it. But that has its own issues.

And no its not an impossible thought. Its just finding all the bits that would work in my situation.

I did front drive on my jeep zj for a while. Just plugged up the rear of the transfer case and put it in 4 wheel drive. The rear axle pinion bearings wore out and i got tired of the whining. Finally fixed it though. And never noticed an mpg drop during that time.

-Every other forum i tried to state my intents...

Total spent on mods. :$440($200 was oil. So take it or leave it)
Total returned from 10mpg baseline :$167
miles since i started ecomodding :3315 miles