View Single Post
Old 02-08-2017, 02:03 AM   #12 (permalink)
Sparkeysmall
EcoModding Lurker

The pig - '99 Dodge Ram 3500 Slt
90 day: 11.99 mpg (US)

The ST - '93 Honda ST1100
90 day: 38.68 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
[dangles red meat]

Heh. Welcome. (I'm a little curious how you could post a picture at Permalink #4, and not be up to 5 posts currently)

My own obsession is the VW Beetle, and my reckoning is half from aero and half from drivetrain. Here is the drivetrain cRiPpLe_rOoStEr mentioned:

It wants 400volts, but for 50 mile range you could use lead acid batteries and a buck/boost inverter.

What I'm curious about is the use case. Our member slowmover is good on that (driver input costs gas!). One of the biggest changes you could make is wheels and tires. You might be able to swap out two sets for different scenarios.
I run these tires at the sidewall pressure. 80 psi. And they say eco sumthin on the side. I havent googled em to see whats what.

I was googling toyota's hsd and diddnt get much farther than the system the prius uses. If i could bolt on a cheap used inline drive unit i would be all giggles.

I was doing some shopping for lipofe batteries. And from the research ive seen one can get about 2 miles per kwh with my aero qualities. I could get around 200 miles of range for $10,000 and a thousand lbs (would be awesome. But nope). And i havnt gotten too far on the math with individual 3v 100 amp/hr cells wired in series. I could use flooded batteries. But a: maintenence and b: weight vs size vs power capabilies. Im using 2 200 amp/hr deep cycles in the camper and 200 watts on the roof. It works fine but does get kinda low running the furnace over night. Someday ill switch that over to lipo when they get old.

Anyway the hybrid drive is most likely that last thing ill do. The sheer cost is the limiting factor.

Sometime within the week im going to replace the catylitic converters. When i got the truck the o2 sensors where bad. Since ive replaced them ive seen a few miles more. But the cats rattle at idle. And i want to swap out to a freer flowing muffler thats still decently quiet. Ive heard these trucks benefit greatly with exhaust work. Headers especially. I also want to get a tuner to reflash the computer.

Ive got a bundle of guages picked out on amazon and a tri pillar. Vacuum, wideband o2 and trans temp. I dont know how much the o2 guage will help being that its fuel injected. But would be nice to know.

Im also planning some better fuel injectors. I havnt pulled these out but i can only assume theyre single hole. I put quad hole injectors in my old jeep and saw a mile or so more. And much smoother running. Thats another bite to the wallet for new ones. I got junkyard injectors for the jeep and never really had a problem. Finding 6 was a pain though. 10 of em that flow right may be no better.

-Every other forum i tried to state my intents...

Total spent on mods. :$440($200 was oil. So take it or leave it)
Total returned from 10mpg baseline :$167
miles since i started ecomodding :3315 miles