View Single Post
Old 02-13-2017, 12:37 PM   #20 (permalink)
dfeldt91
EcoModding Apprentice

Mazda 3 - '06 Mazda 3 iTouring
Quote:
Originally Posted by escymkii View Post
I was wondering n/a vehicles runs best at 80 percent load at around maybe 2000-2500 rpm. How about turbocharged gasoline engines? What if lets say at low RPM boost kicks in i believe entering into boost will require a rich mixture so will probably kill effeciency? so what is the "general rule" on these engines? and how about diesel? VGT engines turbo kicks in so early and from what i understand diesel is effecient when in boost? is this correct?
I ran my Volkswagen Passat 1.8 liter turbocharged engine really lean on the highway by using some diodes to fool the car into thinking it was at a normal AFR. I was able to get up to around 48 MPG in that car combined with some other mods like a front belly pan, more air pressure in tires, shaved antenna and a grille block. From the factory it got 29 MPG highway.

The diodes were to fool the ECU into thinking the car was getting less boost than it actually was, I used the wrong diode apparently and it kept it pretty lean.

Surprisingly, the engine is fine, the turbo is what blew up. But only because I forgot to put coolant in the radiator when it froze and the water never circulated into the turbo. Oh, and the fact it had the wastegate welded shut and no boost controller probably had something to do with it also.