View Single Post
Old 02-17-2017, 08:39 PM   #59 (permalink)
Sparkeysmall
EcoModding Lurker

The pig - '99 Dodge Ram 3500 Slt
90 day: 11.99 mpg (US)

The ST - '93 Honda ST1100
90 day: 38.68 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
That's probably what I meant. I'm trying to cut some clear corrugated right now. I want to use this:

Hot nichrome wire. I got the 2 D-cells, but I apparently need to scavenge a coil spring out of another flashlight. It should work pretty well. I really dislike PVC, and prefer redwood benderboard. It's a landscaping material. This was done [temporarily] to research the shape:

If it was glued up in laminations it could make a very stout structure. Cross-cuts are easier than PVC pipe.

Try 3/16th inch pop rivets instead of the sheet metal screws. No more trouble and a smoother finish.
My only thought on using a hot wire to cut the pilycarbonate with is that it would have to be large enough to fit the panel within the hoop that transfers the current from one side to the other. You would almost have to make a table top version as it would be so bulky to be hand held. Another thought is that the hot wire would cut with far less sharp edges. I got one spot on my finger holding up the side panels on my topper.

Btw. I always wanted to make a beetle even more aerodynamic. Although looking at one they should be "perfect" with the sloped back and round front. But it just isnt sloped enough.

An old beetle is on my "got to have one" bucket list of cars. My favorite that i cry about daily for getting rid of was my '95 mazda mx-5. 40mpg through the mountain pass. So much fun.

---

So. After about 80 miles. My city average has climbed .7 mpg from usuall at 11 mpg. So im assuming the topper and oil pan heater are doing something good. Ill be hitting the highway to see family saturday. And the best ive gotten on the highway was 12 avg. im hopeing to be able to drop the suspension while im over there. The topper looks like a joke with the truck still sitting so high.

Anyway. I finished the topper today. Looks a ton better. But still aint perfect. From the side it looks good but all other angles its an eyesore. And i have to have a side mirror out as i just cant see if anybody is in the lane to the left or me without it. I can still see right side though. I had some thoughts about making clear plexiglass boattails for the mirrors. So you can still see behind but with less drag. Only problem i can forsee is the plexiglass making things difficult to see. Perhaps i should look at some smaller mirrors to put on the side.

Im at work now so ill get some pics up soon. (Done) (ok. Ill have to flip that picture when i get home.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	85
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	21315  

-Every other forum i tried to state my intents...

Total spent on mods. :$440($200 was oil. So take it or leave it)
Total returned from 10mpg baseline :$167
miles since i started ecomodding :3315 miles

Last edited by Sparkeysmall; 02-17-2017 at 11:15 PM.. Reason: Upload picture.