View Single Post
Old 02-18-2017, 03:21 PM   #60 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
Quote:
My only thought on using a hot wire to cut the pilycarbonate with is that it would have to be large enough to fit the panel within the hoop that transfers the current from one side to the other. You would almost have to make a table top version as it would be so bulky to be hand held.
Btw. I always wanted to make a beetle even more aerodynamic. Although looking at one they should be "perfect" with the sloped back and round front. But it just isnt sloped enough.
My parents actually made on of those; it had maybe a 10" throat. It was powered by a Lionel train transformer, which I still have. I took a picture of it about the same time.

The contradiction in the Beetle body is it uses the rooftop vortexes to point air down into the intake below the back window. So improving the streamlining degrades the engine cooling. Body taper starts at the B-pillar, which is good; but the rear fenders lose back any gains.

Here's the thread from 2014 about the boat tail: http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tle-28272.html