View Single Post
Old 02-25-2017, 08:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
jkv357
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaserSnake View Post
(SNIP)
If you don't want my personal opinion, DON'T read the following!
If you are going to ride a motorcycle, don't mess with pulsing and gliding! From a pollution standpoint, you're doing way more damage no matter what compared to driving a car. From a fuel economy standpoint, you're already getting way better mileage than most cars--with sporting performance factored in, there is NO comparison. From a safety standpoint, you're making an unstable vehicle even more unstable and putting yourself at greater risk from other vehicles. Ride for the thrill and try to keep the rubber side down.
I agree. It just doesn't work well on a cycle anyway. Compared to a car that can go DFCU or go directly into neutral when coasting, a cycle doesn't coast off-throttle well at all. Aero drag, transmission drag, and compression braking all rob any chance of efficient coasting. Even with the clutch "in" the drag is significant.

Just ride normally with efficiency in mind, and you can do pretty well.

Ridden normally, my 650cc cycle (without fairings) gets 50 MPG in-town or at Interstate speeds. Depending on conditions, I've seen low 60s. It's hard to complain about that.