View Single Post
Old 02-25-2017, 10:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
M_a_t_t
マット

The Van - '95 Chevy Astro Cl V8 Swapped
Team Chevy
90 day: 7.84 mpg (US)

The new bike - '17 Kawasaki Versys X 300 abs
Motorcycle
90 day: 71.94 mpg (US)

The Mercury - '95 Mercury Tracer Trio
Team Ford
90 day: 34.35 mpg (US)

Toyota - '22 Toyota Corolla Hatchback
90 day: 40.11 mpg (US)
Touring Style or Trailer?

I'm looking into getting more storage for my bike. I can't decide on which route I want to go for, a pull behind or saddlebags and maybe rear trunk. Although I'm not terribly concerned with my mpg on my bike, the ecomodder in me keeps saying things...

I don't usually need alot of carrying capacity on my bike. Usually its just me and my backpack. I've used it for trips to lowes for hardware or quick trips to the grocery store, typical of what you can pick up with a motorcycle. However I want the extra capacity for a road trip coming up. This is my first full season of riding so I'm not sure of what I might need it for in the future. Anyway here are what I've devised for my plans with both options:

1. Pull behind, custom built. I have a hot water heater tank I was planning on using for the body/storage it's 48" long, 19" diameter. Then just using regular setup, leaf springs, simple axle, etc. I feel like its a little oversized leaning me towards option #2.

2. Saddlebags, also custom. I was thinking using 2 jerry cans would be a cool idea, but again advice is welcomed. I don't have any plans so far as to the rear trunk. However I would keep aero in mind and try and incorporate that into the trunk, premade or something I fab up idk.

I know that it would be easier to just unhitch the trailer for when I didn't need the capacity, but I have precious little storage space. The saddlebags would be detachable of course a little bit more hassle than the trailer but less to store. Also if I did the trailer, it wouldn't affect my economy/performance with it off. but saddle bags would make the bike wider. They wouldn't be as easy to remove, making me lean more towards the trailer for keeping it simple.

I can't decide, its a toss up.

Thanks, Matt
Picture of my bike:

1981 Kawasaki KZ650 CSR
1983 Kawasaki KZ1100-A3
1986 Nissan 300zx Turbo 5 spd
1995 Chevy Astro RWD (current project)
1995 Mercury Tracer
2017 Kawasaki VersysX 300
2022 Corolla Hatchback 6MT

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6s...LulDUQ8HMj5VKA