View Single Post
Old 02-26-2017, 02:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
shovel
Master EcoModder

Anybody have actual technical knowledge about E85 "kit" pulse extneders?

To get this out of the way: I didn't post this to be told not to run E85 or to discuss whether or not anybody should run E85, please if you're going to reply with anything like that just save us both some time and hit the back button on your browser. Thank you.

I understand that the premise of operation on any of the normal E85 kits is to intercept the pulses already going to the fuel injectors, lengthen them (or add an echo/reverb to them) and in doing so effectively shift the LTFT window on your car's existing fuel strategy when it's running closed loop. Since modern EFI remembers LTFT offset when running open loop (WOT) the problem of ethanol's oxygen content difference vs. petroleum resolves itself in an elegantly simple way; you simply have less maximum lean trim available no big deal don't drive to the Himalayas.

But here's my question: Do they do anything else?

Because if they don't do anything else I don't see why literally the same results couldn't be achieved by installing bigger injectors. 27lb in a 24lb application, for example.

Any constructive conversation to offer?

(Also yes, I made a typo in the title.. sorry about that)

Last edited by shovel; 02-26-2017 at 02:31 AM..