View Single Post
Old 02-27-2017, 12:26 PM   #27 (permalink)
jkv357
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
Like said,
I use Honda GN4 (motorcycle oil) for my bike, and mix it with 10W30, and never experienced clutch slippage; though using 10W30 by itself there is some clutch slippage.

But at a ratio of 10-25% of 10W30 it doesn't damage the bike at all, and no clutch slippage, even under heavy load for prolonged riding, at the HP peak (GN4 is too thick, at W40, I find,that's why I add W30).
Besides, small engines at lower than 500cc do pretty fine with the lighter oils, as they don't really get hot.

I don't know if it makes any difference in gas mileage, but it does not damage the engine.

I'm just mentioning an option that works for me, and undoubtedly increases gas mileage by a few cents.

When I think of friction modifiers, I do mean that which decreases friction and increases mpg.

In India they ride motorcycles using vegetable oil as engine oil, just fine, for tens of thousands of miles. Vegetable oil has none of those additives an engine supposed to 'need'.
You know they make GN4 in 10W-30 - right?

Use what you think works, but by all accounts I've seen, Rotella T5 10W-30 synthetic blend is far superior to GN4 in every way.

There are plenty of under-500cc engines that get real hot - it all depends on the conditions of use.

Just because engines run with poor or wrong oil, doesn't mean they are "OK" internally. Performance and life span will suffer. No question.